APHIS: Travel Certificates for Pets -What You Need to Know


APHIS: Travel Certificates for Pets

Jul 28

Categories: APHIS, Blog, Pet travel

APHIS: Travel Certificates for Pets
Our veterinarians at Animal Health Care of Marlboro are some of the few veterinarians in New Jersey who are licensed to provide APHIS travel certificates. Please contact us for details about traveling with your pet. When traveling internationally, please note that the preparation for certification can take months.When travelling with your pet(s), there may be animal health requirements specific for that destination. As soon as you know your travel details, please contact us to assist with the pet travel process. Factors to consider may include meeting time frames for obtaining a health certificate, updating vaccinations, diagnostic testing, or administration of medications/ treatments.   aphis logo  

APHIS Steps for International Travel with a Pet

  1. Information your veterinarian at Animal Health Care of Marlboro needs to know before completing your pet’s international health certificate:
    1. Where is your pet going (destination country)?
      • If you are traveling to the European Union, Norway, or Switzerland, who will be traveling with the pet?
        • The owner
        • A person authorized by the owner
        • No one
        • A pet transport company is transporting the pet
    2. What is the address in the destination country where your pet will be staying?             
    3. What date is your pet leaving the United States?
    4. When are you and your pet arriving in the destination country?
    5. What type of pet will be travelling?
      • Dog
      • Cat
      • Ferret
      • Pet Birds (other than chickens, doves, ducks, geese, grouse, guinea fowl, partridges, pea fowl, pheasants, pigeons, quail, swans, and turkeys)
      • Rodent
      • Hedgehog/tenrec
      • Rabbit
      • Reptile
      • Amphibian
  2. Work with us to answer the following questions.   
    1. What type of health certificate is required?
      • A country-specific health certificate
      • A generic pet certificate (ex. APHIS 7001)
    2. Is a microchip required?
      • Yes or No
        • If yes, is a specific type of microchip required
          • Yes or No
    3. What vaccines does your destination country require?  When must the vaccines be given?
      • You must have rabies vaccine certificates for all rabies vaccinations documented on the health certificate.  These vaccination certificates will be required by the USDA at the time of health certificate endorsement.
    4. Are any laboratory tests required by your destination country?
      • Yes or No
        • If yes, what tests are required and when must these samples be collected? (Note: The sample MUST be collected within the testing timeframe required by your destination country.  Some tests may take a long time for the results to be returned and/or some countries require a waiting period after testing and before entry into the destination country.)
    5. Are any treatments required by your destination country?
      • Yes or No
        • If yes, what treatments and when must they be given?
    6. When must a physical exam of the pet(s) be performed prior to travel?
    7. Check with your airline to determine what requirements they have, if any.  Airlines may have separate and additional requirements from those of your destination country.
    8. If you intend to bring your pet back into the U.S., there may be certain re-entry requirements, depending on where you traveled.  You should plan for them now.  See the pet import section for details.
    9. Work with your veterinarian at Animal Health Care of Marlboro to complete all required paperwork.  
    10. After your health certificate has been completed, signed, and dated by your veterinarian, most countries require that international health certificates be submitted to a USDA APHIS Veterinary Services office for endorsement.  Some offices may offer to review health certificates prior to submission.  Please work with your endorsing USDA office to determine your options for paperwork review and/or submission.