skip to Main Content
Dogs And Chocolate

Dogs and Chocolate

Theobromine is the ingredient in chocolate that is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate contains the highest concentration of theobromine. If your dog has accidentally eaten chocolate, look for the following symptoms: increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors or seizures, and death. (DEATH?!…yes, dogs and chocolate can lead to death).

Why Do Dogs And Chocolate Lead To Danger?

Theobromine is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate. Cocoa powder can vary in the amount of theobromine, from 2% theobromine, up to higher levels around 10%. There are usually higher concentrations in dark than in milk chocolate. Theobromine can also be found in small amounts in the kola nut (1.0–2.5%), the guarana berry, yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis), and the tea plant. 28 grams (1 oz) of milk chocolate contains approximately 60 milligrams (1 grain) of theobromine, while the same amount of dark chocolate contains about 200 milligrams (3 grains). Cocoa beans naturally contain approximately 1% theobromine. To read more, go to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine

 

Back To Top