Make Thanksgiving safe for your pets: avoid "Black Friday"


Make Thanksgiving safe for your pets: avoid “Black Friday”

Aug 17

Categories: Blog

Make Thanksgiving safe for your pets: avoid “Black Friday”
With a table piled high with Thanksgiving goodies and the family gathered around, who isn't tempted to have our cherished companions join the feast? After all, most of us consider our cats and dogs to be our best friends and isn't Thanksgiving the holiday for family and friends?Although the holidays are a time for sharing, your pet's vet urges you NOT to share your holiday meal leftovers with your pets.  Table scraps, including Thanksgiving turkey are unhealthy for our pets. Turkey bones or spoiled meat found in the trash can be especially dangerous to your pet's health.Turkey bones are dangerous because they are soft and hollow and easily break and splinter into sharp pieces.  Most pets do not chew these bones thoroughly (they usually gulp them down, we've all seen that!) and the sharp pieces can cause blockage and perforate the intestinal tract. rich foods that leave us wishing for a nap can send your pet to the vet with a possibly life-threatening illness called pancreatitis. Indeed the shopping malls aren't the only places where the day after thanksgiving is known as "Black Friday." In veterinary offices everywhere the Friday after Thanksgiving brings a flood of anxious pet parents cradling dogs and cats with belly aches and diarrhea.  Fatty food are the chief culprits: turkey skin, gravy and butter-laden mashed potatoes you're likely to want to share can easily trigger a bout of painful gastroenteritis with attendant vomiting and diarrhea. Another problem is Salmonella poisoning also known as food poisoning. Salmonella lives in the turkey intestinal tract and cooking usually destroys the bacteria, making the turkey safe to eat. But occasionally the center of the turkey may be undercooked especially if it's large of full of stuffing.  If the meat sits out at room temperature for too long, the bacteria multiplies and cause contamination.  Pets may become poisoned if they eat any of the turkey that has been sitting out. So share your love with your pets this Thanksgiving instead of your table scraps.  If your pet does manage to sneak some food from the table and begins showing signs of the above, consult your pets vet immediately because if your pets need care, the team of animal health care will be there!