Mark your calendars now, because March 19-25 is coming up fast. This year's National Poison Prevention Week sound like a fun occasion but it also has a super important message. The number of pets who accidentally ingest something poisonous has risen to over 100,000 cases annually. That's just the number of reported accidents. Use this week as an opportunity to educate both yourself and any other pet owners in your life. Read and share this article or any other relevant material. Your animals would thank you if they could.
We have a tendency to think of our pets as members of our family, and with good reason. Our pets are the best. That said, despite the fact that we sometimes treat them like smaller, hairier humans, at the end of the day they are still animals who need protection from their innate curiosities and appetites. Your home is their home, too, and you need to make sure it is a completely safe environment where following their nose won't lead them into danger.
Most cases of pet poisoning are the direct result of an owner leaving out something they assumed was harmless. Second to that they left in an easy location that their animals wouldn't have any interest in. The surest way to prevent the unthinkable from happening is to learn what items to keep away from your pets at all times. Fortunately, your faithful Marlboro veterinarian assembled the following list of the products and substances most commonly linked to accidental poisoning.
Learn And Share Common Dangers During Poison Prevention Week:
While prescription medication can obviously be toxic to animals, it's also the case that over-the-counter products are every bit as deadly. Even herbal supplements that are safe for small children can cause a canine calamity or catty catastrophe. Even animal medications specially formulated for your pet can be sick-making in the wrong dosage or application, so keep all medications in a safe space where they can't possibly get at them.
There are literally dozens of different foodstuffs that are fine for people but poisonous to pets. Everything from onions to animal fat can make your pet seriously sick, so play it safe by not swapping suppers at all.Harmful human foods include alcoholic beverages, avocados, caffeinated beverages, chocolate, fatty foods, garlic/onions/chives, grapes/raisins, macadamia nuts, salt, and yeast dough. Also beware of products containing xylitol, an artificial sweetener used in gum, candy, toothpaste, some peanut butter, and other foods.
Insecticides And Other Pest Repellents
Many of us treat our pets with some sort of flea and tick repellent. That doesn't make these products harmless. On the contrary, overdose in smaller animals is common, and accidental ingestion can be fatal. It goes without saying that rat poison, snail bait, RAID, and any other chemical designed to repel or exterminate pests will also be toxic to your pet, and these things often have a sweet taste that animals can't resist.
Cleaners, solvents, and glues are obviously a big problem here, but there are all kinds of other mundane products that can poison your pet. Everything from old pennies and other lead-based products to fire logs and antifreeze to deodorant and potpourri can be toxic to animals, so make sure to keep them in a secure place.
Plants, Especially The Flowers
Bringing a bouquet into the house seems harmless, but many plants, especially lilies, are extremely poisonous to cats…who also find them irresistible.
We know you know, but we really can't stress it enough.
These may be the basics but there are a lot of specifics to explore. Use National Poison Prevention Week to become an expert. If you ever suspect your cat, dog, or other animal has ingested something questionable, call a poison control hotline such as the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. You can also contact the Marlboro Veterinarian
or your closest Veterinarian immediately—every minute counts. For more information on this or any other pet-related issue, visit the ahc website and make an appointment on our contact page
. We look forward to serving you in Marlboro Township, here in beautiful Englishtown, NJ. We take poison control very seriously and also teach for Poison Prevention Week.